Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Genetic Testing

I received an email through the support group I am a part of and one of our members sent a link to an article on genetic testing. This is a PDF file. It has convinced me that I want to have the test. I will not be doing that till the spring, but it is my desire to do so.

Here is the first paragraph, to wet your whistle:

When an individual is diagnosed with celiac disease, the entire family learns that they must be tested on a regular basis for the condition, for they are now at risk. First degree relatives (parent, child, sibling) have a 1 in 22 chance of developing celiac disease in their lifetimes; in second degree relatives, (aunt, uncle, cousin, grandparent) the risk is 1 in 39. Only lifetime screening can help family members reduce the long term impact of celiac disease and facilitate a quick diagnosis. They learn that regular antibody testing is necessary because celiac disease is a genetic condition and could appear again in the family at any time.

I am wanting to do more research on the phrase long term impact, my understanding is that once you stop eating gluten, the small intestines heal up. I need to know what to expect.

No comments: