Monday, December 1, 2008

Other things we must watch out for

I appreciate it when companies bother to post whether (and which) products are gluten free. At a recent Celiac support group meeting, I was told that, besides the foods we eat, other products we use must be gluten free. This has sent me sleuthing for a variety of things. I recently did a search at Burt's Bees. I have their Baby Bee Buttermilk Lotion and am wondering if it is safe. They have a PDF page listing the products that are gluten free. On the list they only list Baby Bee Lotion, but Buttermilk is not there. I searched their products and found that they only have the Buttermilk Lotion, so I suspect it is fine, but I sent an email to be sure. When I get the answer, I will add an update to this post.
_________________________________
UPDATE
I also want to add that not all companies who post info about gluten content on their websites make that information easy to find. With some, if you can find a link to FAQ's, you will find the gluten question and answer there, but with many sites you have to search forever to find it. Lots of companies don't bother, so you have to contact them direct. Most I have contacted have responded, but some never do. As awareness and understanding increases, perhaps companies will be more open about this.
_________________________________
UPDATE # 2


Dear Becky:

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry, the Baby Bee Buttermilk lotion is an approved item and is Gluten free. [Sleuth note: The attachment was the same as the PDF list I linked to above.]


I hope that this information helps, if you have any additional questions and or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Tiffany K.

Consumer Care
Burt's Bees Inc.
1-800-849-7112 option 4
Mon-Fri 10am-4:30pm EST

No comments: