Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks, but I am sure they are gluten free.)

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Pizza

I had one food moment this past summer that was truly the first time I had been really, really tempted to eat gluten on purpose. My mom and my daughter had gone out to eat at Maxie's Pizza, a restaurant I have been frequenting since I was a teenager. They make awesome pizza and it has always been a favorite of mine.

So, the ladies went there and I stayed home. No problem. I don't mind if others go out to eat, or even eat glutenized food in front of me...so far, so good. They came home; they had leftovers in little toxic Styrofoam boxes; I am okay with that. Mom put hers in the fridge; my daughter left hers on the counter. I walked into the kitchen and saw the offending box sitting in there...I wondered why. I thought, perhaps it is empty. I opened the box to see...and there, staring at me with you-know-you-want-me olive eyes...the pizza!!!

I closed the box and put it in the fridge; but it was the toughest gluten encounter I have faced (the close encounters don't count because I really didn't want to do any of that-especially the toothbrush!)

The good news? It turns out that the mother of the owner of said pizza parlor has celiac disease! I am not happy about this, but it has brought about an interesting turn of events. This coming Tuesday evening, my husband and I are joining a number of people from our local support group for pizza! We bring in our own, store-bought crusts, and they will cook them up with whatever toppings we want (the gluten tolerant will be having normal crusts)! They also welcome us to bring our crusts and come in any time; they will clean up the oven and bake us safe pizzas and we don't have to call ahead. I am very excited about this. One shouldn't be so excited about food. I will try to remember to take my camera and take some shots of the pizza (maybe some people too) to share with you later.

See Dan, I have a Christmas pizza story too!

4 comments:

DJP said...

And yours even has that element of suspense and intrigue that mine lacks!

(c:

Becky, a slave of Christ said...

Well, I think yours is more intriguing (certainly more tempting).

Keeneye said...

The next time you're in Baker City, be sure to visit us for the best gluten-free crust you've ever had!

http://ikeeneye.wordpress.com/?s=gluten

Say hi while you're here, too.

:)

Becky, slave of Christ said...

I will certainly come by and enjoy your pizza, K! Our daughter is attending college in Oregon and we head that way on a regular basis. If you don't mind, I will add a post about your restaurant as well...then when I come, I can snap pictures and personalize it. Thanks for dropping by!