Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks, but I am sure they are gluten free.)

Friday, January 16, 2009

Sweet Potato Spice Cake

Sarah does it again! She sent this email today, I am going to try this one very soon; it looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing, Sarah, this should be your blog!

I adapted a recipe yesterday from one of my old ones, to accomodate GF. It started out as a regular applesauce cake my Mom always made, and I tweaked it for GF and substituted the sweet potatoes in place of the applesauce. Thought I'd send it to you in case you wanted to try it, or if you know anyone else GF who'd like it, feel free to pass it on. I am very pleased with the results, because it didn't fall like every other GF cake I've tried to make. It was the definitely the best thing we've had since our household went GF, and I would have had a hard time believing it was not made with Gluten-flour if I hadn't been the one who baked it!

GF SWEET POTATO SPICE CAKE

2/3 c. butter, softened

1 ½ c. white sugar

½ c. brown sugar

3 eggs

2 c. cooked, mashed sweet potato

1 1/3 c. brown rice flour

1 1/3 c. cornstarch

1 ¾ tsp. baking soda

½ tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. xanthan gum

1 ¼ tsp. cinnamon

½ tsp. nutmeg

½ tsp. cloves

½ c. water, m/l depending on how moist the mashed sweet potato is

Cream butter, sugars and eggs until light. Add sweet potato mixing well. Separately, mix other dry ingredients, except xanthan gum. Add dry mixture alternately with water, ending with dry mixture. When you are ready to add the last portion of dry ingredients, mix the xanthan gum into the dry mixture, then add to batter. Pour into greased and floured (I used brown rice flour) 9x13 glass pan. Bake at 325 for 55-60 min., until pick inserted comes out clean and edges have pulled away from the sides of the pan. It will be fairly brown. Turn cake (in pan) upside down on cake rack to cool.

I left mine there for 10-15 minutes, until I realized the cake had loosened from the pan and was resting on the top of the cake, so I turned it back right side up, and covered with a tea towel.

We ate it while still warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. While I was thinking how good it would be with the addition of a handful of coconut, some raisins and nuts, my husband (a purist!) said it was perfect the way it was and he wouldn't change a thing. But we did agree how awesome it would be with cream cheese frosting. It was the best cake we've had since going GF ~ tender, fluffy and not at all "sandy". Not bad for the first time trying a new idea.

Enjoy!

~Sarah

No comments: