Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks, but I am sure they are gluten free.)

Monday, February 23, 2009

Pasta Sauces

I made some pasta this week that turned out very good. I will attempt to give instructions that are clear enough that you can try it too, if you want. Please be warned: I don't have exact quantities...I rarely cook that way. I use the method my dear Aunt Lorena (who passed away about a year and a half ago) used to describe as, "Shake, shake, shake, a little of this, a little of that..." It is a wonderful way to cook. My best advice: add what you think you might need, taste it, add more if you feel like you should. Start out with smaller amounts of seasonings and work your way up (if I go too heavy on something like, salt, for instance, I just increase the amounts of the other ingredients and enjoy leftovers). After cooking this way for a while, you get a feel for how much to add.

RECIPE #1

Chicken Broccoli Pasta

2 T butter
4 boneless chicken breasts, cut up in bite-sized pieces
Several green onions, sliced
2 to 3 cloves of garlic (use as many as you like, according to taste; I used a couple of cloves this time)
A head or two of broccoli, chopped
About a 1/2 cup gluten-free cornstarch
1/2 cup Pacific Organic Chicken Broth (this brand is gluten free) add more if you need it
Mozzarella or an Italian blend shredded cheese
Tillamook cheddar cheese
Your favorite gluten-free pasta (I used Tinkyada Spinach Spaghetti Style; this added an additional strong vegetable flavor to the dish, which we liked.)

Melt 2 T butter in a large skillet. Add the chicken and cook through. Once the chicken is cooked, scoot it to the edge of your skillet and add a little more butter and saute the green onions, garlic, and chopped broccoli for a few minutes.

Put cornstarch (adapt this if you can't use corn...Jennifer :) into a small bowl, add the chicken broth and stir until the cornstarch is well blended. Poor into the skillet and mix with the vegetables and chicken. Slowly add the rest of the carton of chicken broth, blending as you go. Season to taste. I used salt and onion powder, but I was thinking that paprika would be a nice addition. I didn't put a lid on the skillet. I just let it cook over a medium to low heat for maybe a half an hour or so, until the liquid thickened. While it is cooking, you can cook your pasta.

Probably ten minutes into that half hour, I added a the shredded Italian cheese (2 cups maybe) and about a 1/2 cup of cheddar chunks that I sliced off of the brick. When the sauce was done, it was somewhat translucent; lovely really.

This made a generous amount of sauce. Three of us had it the night I made it, then tonight we had it over potatoes, and there is still some left over.

_________________________________
RECIPE #2

Just today, Sarah sent me this recipe for another cheesy sauce, which she says is a nice alternative to store-bought Alfredo Sauce*; it looks pretty yummy. In this recipe "I" means Sarah. :) For the most part, the recipe is the I received it, with a few minor changes to make it work better in this post.
THANKS AGAIN SARAH!

Sarah's Creamy Pasta Sauce

Bake boneless, skinless chicken breasts until just done (in 350 degree oven, the ones I did were still half frozen when I put them in)

Make a cream sauce:
1 1/2 c milk
1 1/2 T cornstarch
salt & pepper to taste
1 t Better Than Bouillon soup base (Becky has never heard of this before)
1 t parsley (that would be a nice addition to the recipe above also)
garlic powder to taste

Cook, stirring over a medium heat. When thickened, add about 1/4 cup Parmesan and pour over the chicken breasts (this was enough for 4, with plenty on them). Sprinkle on shredded mozzarella and return to oven to melt cheese. Serve as a main dish as is, or pour over a hot gluten-free pasta of your choice.

_________________________________
*Alfredo Sauce News: my friend Betty told me recently that Fred Meyer is now carrying Road's Alfredo Sauce; it is gluten free and in that section of the store.

2 comments:

Thankful Paul said...

Hello! :)

Becky, slave of Christ said...

Paul,
My recommendation is that you get into a church where the Word of God is faithfully taught. You need to be around other believers outside of cyberspace. You need to get some solid teaching from men who have been trained to do so. You should also check out some of the excellent teachers who have sermons available online, such as John MacArthur, R.C. Sproul (start with this), and Steve Lawson. You should also start visiting and reading Pyromaniacs on a regular basis.

A children's Bible is an okay place to start, but it is important to move on to solid food.