Saturday, September 19, 2009

Shepherd's Pot Pie

One of the foods I miss since gluten became my enemy is really truly honest to goodness pie crust. I haven't tasted anything gf that comes close. But, I also miss Chicken Pot Pie and decided that I would figure out a way to have it without a crust. Enter the Shepherd's Pie.

I worked out this recipe some time ago, but hadn't gotten around to sharing it, which is good as this particular blend is very good. My peeps raved about it. My honey, who is gone for the weekend, decided he must have tonight's leftover portion last night too. He was full and happy. As usual, I put it together with the Aunt Lorena method (follow the label trail) and so these quantities are estimated. Really, when putting together a dish like this, approximations and preferences rule.












Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
I believe this recipe would feed 5-6 people, depending on appetites.

Under the spuds
3 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts - cut up into bite-size pieces (I use scissors I keep in my kitchen, but not kitchen scissors, I hate those things)
1 small red onion fresh from our garden, sliced very thin
a cup or so of frozen peas
3 large organic carrots, cubed and pre-cooked in a little water for about 5 minutes
1/4-1/3 cup Argo cornstarch*
Grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle (the boxed Kraft-style)
Shredded Mozzarella

Laying the foundation
Place the chicken pieces in the bottom of an ungreased casserole dish (I used a Corning Ware 10x10x2 inch one).
Spread the peas, carrots and onions evenly over the chicken.
Put the cornstarch in the bottom of a small mixing bowl and keep adding small amounts of the chicken broth to it, mixing well until you have added all of it. Pour this over the chicken and vegetables.
Season with a generous amount of garlic powder and then salt and pepper to taste (I used fresh-ground of both).
Sprinkle a layer of Parmesan and a layer of cheese (both of these to taste).

The upper crust
This time I used a pound and a half of garlic mashed potatoes that my mom picked up from Costco, but your favorite loaded mashed potato recipe will be great. Spoon them onto the foundation until the top is well covered. Then you can gently spread the potatoes together so that they are a smooth crust. Sprinkle additional mozzarella cheese across the top.

Turn up the heat
Bake @ 350 for 1 hour until the yummy gravy bubbles up through the potatoes and the cheese is delightfully browned. Remove from oven and let it rest a few minutes. Serve with a tossed salad. Expect comfort food.

..................................................................
* ...because they are gluten free, that's why

No comments: