Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Banana Sheet Cake...deglutened

Master blogger and sweet paper friend, Rebecca, posted the recipe for Banana Sheet Cake. That recipe caused my taste buds to covet. I decided I was going to figure out a way to degluten that recipe and I have finally done so. The reason it took so long to get it done is that sometimes when the bananas were getting close to being ripe enough, my husband would eat them. One time, I was just too stinking busy and one day my husband said, "I've never seen a banana so ripe that it was actually running out of the peeling, Becky." Yuck. We have both seen that now.

(Rebecca, the little green plate came from my grandma's house in Bellevue.)

Gluten Free Banana Sheet Cake
Wherein Becky adapts Becky's cake recipe and finds herself in a pleasant place.

For 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan*
1/2 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup Tillamook Sour Cream**
1 teaspoon Kirkland Pure Vanilla Extract**
1/4 cup water (or a little more)
1-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 medium overripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar, then add the eggs (you may notice that Rebecca suggested 2 eggs for the smaller cake, but I used 3), sour cream, vanilla and water. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. It was during this step that I added the extra egg and water.

The batter was so thick that it became some kind of aggressive beast, forcing itself up the beaters of my mixer and causing the motor to drag. It could be that I used too much xanthan gum, but I am a cake lover not a chemist, and I just don't know why it did that.)





Then stir in the bananas. At this point, the batter smelled so good my taste buds were clamoring for a smackeral, but I wouldn't cave in to their demands.













Spread batter into a greased 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan (notice that mine is a x 2 inch glass baking dish). Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

I don't know if it was the extra egg or what, but the cake was already taking on some impressive browning ten minutes shy of being finished. I checked it to see how it was progressing and the toothpick came out well coated. I thought I had spread the batter evenly, but apparently there was a thinner side and it really browned quickly, so I covered that part and let it go the rest of the time. It came out perfect. It seems quite dark, but it was not burned.




It smelled so good...

Cool and frost (see the delicious recipe for the cream cheese frosting on Rebecca's blog).

This turned out so well! I served it to the men who come to my husband's Bible study (gluten gobblers every one) and they loved it. It just plain doesn't taste gluten free! This recipe will be well used in my home. Thank you Rebecca!




Color me happy.

...........................................................................................
*Rebecca has the quantities for an even larger pan, but I didn't adapt for that.
**When I mention a specific brand, it is because that brand is gluten free. It also means that other brands of this particular ingredient could contain gluten. Check the labels, check with the company.
***If you use Bob's Red Mill, make sure the flour you are buying is gluten free. The one I linked to is, but not all of their flours are. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by buying the wrong stuff.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

I'm glad the gluten-free version turned out so well. It's great when the "special diet" versions of recipes are good enough to serve to everyone.

And I love the plate! :)

Becky, slave of Christ said...

Sadly, I found out that the cornstarch I used did have gluten in it, even though the label didn't say so. You can see on my next post what happened. I will be making this again, but with a gluten free corn starch.