Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks, but I am sure they are gluten free.)

Friday, November 13, 2009

Honey-Mustard Smokies...in a Quilt - no dairy - no eggs - no gluten - no soy - no kidding

This is not an easy change, but it is also not impossible. I am determined to adapt to this new way of eating (well, I am adapting, since I haven't eaten any eggs or dairy for a week now). My biggest concern is to get all of the nutrients I need (my next concern is that I can actually stand to eat what I cook).




Earlier in the week I needed a fast meal. I looked in my fridge and cupboard, started my what-could-I-do-with-this-food-to-make-it-tasty-and-filling gears turning, and this is what I came up with:

Honey-Mustard Smokies...in a Quilt

1-14 oz. package Hillshire Farms Beef Lit'l Smokies
1/4 cup Safflower oil (or other oil of your choosing)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup mustard
1 pkg. Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Cornbread Mix
Pacific Foods Vanilla Flavored Almond Milk
Ener-G Foods Egg Replacer

The quantities on the honey-mustard sauce are a guess right now, because I used the Aunt Lorena method, as is my usual practice when I am coming up with a new dish, so you can make some adjustments according to your own taste. Just taste it and see if you are content.

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Mix up the cornbread according to the package directions, using Egg Replacer instead of the eggs and almond milk instead of dairy milk. The Egg Replacer package says to mix together 1 1/2 t of egg replacer to 2 T of warm water per egg. Bob's calls for 2 eggs. Grease a 9"x9" casserole (I used a soy free spray) and spread the dough over the bottom.

Spread the Smokies evenly across the top of the cornbread and press them down into the dough. You could get fancy and make a zig-zag pattern or something exciting like this, but I was looking for something fast and I wasn't feeling that great anyway.

Pour and spread the honey-mustard sauce over the top to cover. Bake according to the cornbread package directions. It says 20 or 25 minutes (can't remember for sure), but I was thinking it could have baked a few minutes longer.

The sauce soaks into the bread a little ways and makes it really, really yummy. My family really liked it, but since my tummy is still in the post-dairy/egg healing period, it didn't set as well as I would have liked, but I am thinking that as I heal, it will be okay. I have always done okay with the Lit'l Smokies.

Stay tuned...I have been chewing on an idea for chicken, but it may be next week until it hatches.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Wow! This looks great! Thanks for the recipe. I'm intrigued about your hatching chicken recipe! :)

Tammy said...

Becky, how do you know the Litl Smokies are soy free? I've looked at the ingredient list and it has Natural Flavorings listed, so I am confused by that.

I just happened to stumble on your blog, when I typed in soy free Litl Smokies. I have a daughter who was just diagnosed as soy intolerant and gluten borderline intolerant. I hope to glean a lot of useful information from your blog. :) Thank you for doing all of this research and testing for us.

Becky, slave of Christ said...

You know what, Tammy, I am not sure! I just removed the "no soy part" until I find out. It is my mother who cannot have soy and she has made it clear that she can only eat the beef Lit'l Smokies, so that is what I always use and I have always assumed they are soy free. I am pretty sure she has looked into it, but I will have to do that and get back to you. Thanks for the heads up. I need to be careful.