Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks, but I am sure they are gluten free.)

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Banana Flats

The saga continues:
When I saw Rebecca's Banana Sheetcake I knew I had to have a gluten free version, so I adapted her recipe and it was delicious. Then came the dreaded news that I had to stop consuming eggs and dairy as well. Fun times. Desperate times call for desperate measures (BTW: Did you know that word rhymes with treasure? Until very recently I have always pronounced it may zhur. My husband and daughter have been retraining me. ), so I decided to adapt the adaptation. This time I ended up with a puddingish sort of thing. The night of its invention, we had four strapping young brothers come by to visit and I have to say that it was a big hit with them (or else they were being kind...piece after piece of kindness). As a matter of fact, the eldest - who was home for Christmas from West Point - came up with the name, Banana Flats. I love that name. And so, without further ado, I present you the interesting confection that is...

Banana Flats
1/2 cup Earth Balance Original style (I am sure you could use whichever you prefer)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 egg's-worth Ener-G Foods Egg Replacer (follow package directions)
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups gluten free brown rice flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
2-3 apples, chopped fine
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed fine
Almonds to garnish (of course)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

In a large bowl, cream the Earth Balance and sugars, then add the egg replacer, coconut milk and vanilla. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, then stir in the bananas and apples and mix well.

Spread the batter into a greased 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan. Garnish with almonds...as many as you like. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted near the center comes out clean.

When this was baking, I went into a bit of a panic because it was not raising at all. Finally, just before it was to come up it elevated to almost the top of the pan and it was a lovely, puffy thing. I pulled it out when it was finished and set it on the stove top to cool, and somewhere along the way it fell flat again! I thought I had a failure, but it really turned out nice. It is an animal unto itself. It isn't exactly cake-like and it isn't exactly bar-like and it isn't exactly pudding-like; it is kind of cake/bar/pudding/something newish-like. It is best warm or room temperature, but I kept it refrigerated between eatings.

I still want to come up with a recipe that is more cake-like, but that is for another day's experiment.

No comments: