Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Liver, My Friend

I have known for some time that I have issues with my liver and that things seem to be worse since I had my gallbladder out. I have heard that gallbladder problems are actually symptoms of liver problems anyway. Whether that is true or not, I am not sure; I'm a writer not a doctor. Today I decided to do some research and very quickly found articles about a possible connection between celiac and the liver. I got more than an eye full at celiac dot com.

Again, I have not been diagnosed with celiac. This is because I had to take matters into my own hands when, after more tests than can be measured with the human eye, the gastroenterologist essentially told me "people hurt, take fish oil, get exercise, have a nice life" and sent me on my way...bills in hand. I stopped eating gluten because I had to find some relief from the terrible pain...well, you can read the details here.

Bottom line, probably; the saddened liver and the celiac can go hand in hand, but doctors don't always seem to be sure which problem comes first. From what I can understand (and that is very technical doctor talk in those articles), there have been people who had liver transplants and their gluten issues went away. On the other hand, there seem to be some liver problems that come with some of the fun of being glutenly challenged. I am sort of attached to my liver. I hope we can learn to get along better.

1 comment:

Sanstrom Seven said...

Yikes! I too, hope that you and your liver can find some common ground! In the meantime, I will add your liver to my prayers.