Friday, January 1, 2010

Sleuthering Around the Web Again

Products
I have been missing cheese so much. I tried enchiladas without it and...well...I don't recommend them. Last night I found some cheddar style almond cheese on sale at Freddy's and decided to try it. My first impression wasn't good, as I had real cheese expectations, but after giving myself a talkin' to, I tried it again. I had some nice rice crackers with it and liked it very much. I am going to pick up more while it is still on sale. This opens up some nice possibilities.


(I didn't take this photog...I harvested it from another blog.)

UPDATE: Possibilities closed. Alisa noted in her comment to this post that this brand of cheese has milk in it. It is true, it has casein; which begs the question: Alternative?

Also, I had mentioned that I had a chicken variation of my Smokies in a Quilt. I gave it a go last night and my husband and daughter loved it, but I have one more thing to tweak before I am satisfied. Be patient. We still have leftovers and it will be a few weeks before I try again.



Resources

Gluten Free in SD - This site has so much good information; the link takes you to a particular page I ran across, but look around.

Bloggers
Food Allergy Mamma Check out her December 19th post for No Dairy, No Egg, No Kidding Cinnamon Rolls! UPDATE: Use Sarah's Gluten Free Caramel Cinnamon Rolls to see how she handled the gluten issue. I haven't tried to come up with a gluten free version, but I would think using a brown rice flour and cornstarch in place of the flour should work out just fine. I would use almond milk rather than rice of soy.

The Mini Canteen This lady has some yummy looking recipes. She bakes vegan, wheat and dairy free, so it is easy to make her recipes work. She has home-made marshmallows, Everything Free Ice Cream, a vegan Nutella (just before Christmas I found another one here), and these Carmel Popcorn Peanut Butter Wheat and Dairy Free Cookies (I want to try these soon).

2 comments:

Alisa said...

Oh, I have a couple of awesome cheese-free enchilada recipes that everyone loves! Just keep experimenting!

I am not sure if you are dairy-free, but that brand of cheese has dairy, though it may be lactose-free?

Is there a place in the comments that mentions a GF alternative for those cinnamon rolls? I couldn't find it on Food Allergy Mama. I was intrigued. Thanks for the links!

Becky, slave of Christ said...

Alisa, thanks for stopping by! Can you share your enchilada recipes or at least give me some ideas on what direction you went? I am stumped on this one.

I just checked the almond cheese and you are right; it has casein in it. Well, it was fun while it lasted. Now I know why my stomach has been hurting again. Duh. :(

My friend Sarah came up with a recipe for gluten-free cinnamon rolls (posted on my blog September 19th). I think blending recipes to be both gluten and dairy free might work. Sarah usually uses brown rice flour and cornstarch. They combine to make a nice texture.

Do you know of a cheese that doesn't have dairy and isn't soy?