Sunday, February 21, 2010

Four Recipes and a Seuss Allusion

I have been scrambling to come up with recipes that taste good and don't hurt when I eat them; a tall order when so many foods must be avoided (okay, I know there are others out there who have it worse than I do, but it is my kitchen I am cooking in). Each of these four are very easy to make, which is always a plus.

My normal guacamole recipe has dreaded sour cream in it, so I needed to come up with something tasty AND safe...fast! I finally have one that is easy to put together and really good.

The Aunt Lorena Method was used developing all of these recipes, so feel free to play with quantities until it is most pleasing to your taste buds.

Red and Green Guacamole
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Egg, No Soy, No Kidding

1 ripe avocado
1/2 cup Chachies medium salsa
1 green onion, sliced
2 tablespoons canned, sliced, chili peppers
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon cumin
salt to taste
Mash the avocado with a fork, stir in the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Eat it. P.S. I often leave out the green chilies. They are yummy, but I don't always have them on hand. It is good without them too!

The dish underneath the guacamole is even easier. It is a dumbed down version of a recipe which I linked to here. In my post, I used burger instead of the pork chops you see here. Just place your pork chops in a casserole dish, add the beans and salsa and bake until the chops are well cooked.

Chicken and Rice Skillet
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Egg, No Soy, No Kidding

This is a skillet dish I did one evening which turned out nice.

I precooked the chicken in olive oil and cooking sherry, then added chopped celery, green, yellow and orange peppers, and onions. Then I added about three or four cups of Pacific chicken broth and a cup of basmati rice (I really like that rice), then I seasoned it with garlic powder, salt and pepper and cooked it until the rice was done. This simple dish allows for a lot of variety.

You could go Mexican with tomatoes, hot peppers, and add cumin, oregano along with the seasonings I used in this recipe. You could go Chinese by cooking the chicken in sesame oil. Add such vegetables as celery, cabbage, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, ginger, sesame seeds or almonds, even soy sauce if you can tolerate it, whatever you like.


Speaking of red and green. It was suggested that I might be able to tolerate organic eggs if I put them in a blender with some fresh spinach leaves and then cook them. I did that and I did not get sick like I usually do. I will try it again another day, just to be sure. Did you know that slices of fresh tomatoes go well with scrambled eggs? They do. I must confess, however, I forgot the ham, Sam.

These are amazingly delish. I will start off giving you my mostest easiest oven potato recipe, then move to this slightly lesstest easiest oven potato recipe.

My Mostest Easiest Oven Potatoes
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Egg, No Soy, No Kidding

Peel potatoes. Slice ATAP (as thin as possible). Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet (if you use a Pampered Chef bar pan or line your cookie sheet with parchment paper, you won't need any kind of oil on the pan to keep it from sticking. I use no oil for this recipe). Bake about 20 minutes or so, watch them, until the potatoes are browned as much as you want them to be. The cooking time is going to vary according to how thick your slices are. How many spuds you use will also vary for the same reason. I usually use two or three large potatoes on the largest bar pan. Once these are done, I dip mine in my Buttery-Yellow Mustard Sauce: a mixture of Vegenaise and mustard, for which I mix enough mustard (French's Classic Yellow is gluten free) in to make it a lovely buttery yellow color. I used to mix Best Foods and mustard, but those days are gone.

My Lesstest Easiest Oven Potatoes
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Egg, No Soy, No Kidding

Follow the directions for preparing the potatoes above.

Put a couple of tablespoons olive oil in the bottom of a mixing bowl that will hold the number of potatoes you prepared with plenty of tossing room.

Sprinkle in seasonings of your choice. For my most recent batch, I used (you may see a seasoning pattern here) oregano, garlic powder, cumin, parsley, paprika, salt and pepper. I just use a little bit of each. Mix the olive oil and seasonings well and then add your potatoes and stir until they are well coated.

You can tell by the picture that I am not as picky about these overlapping. That is because the oil enhances browning. I watch them and bake until they are as dark as I like them to be. The ones in the picture were perfect. I use Buttery-Yellow Mustard Sauce with these as well.

There you go. Four very easy No Gluten, No Dairy, No Egg, No Soy, No Kidding recipes, with an eggish one thrown in as a bonus.

No comments: