Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks, but I am sure they are gluten free.)

Monday, March 22, 2010

Pie's and their crusts

I was thinking I had already posted my pie and pie crust recipes, but I can't find them anywhere on here, so apparently not. Normally this would take a long time, but because of a helpful tip a friend made, I am now able to copy and paste from other programs without having to retype everything. He suggested I paste the text into Word Pad first, as it gets rid of any background formatting which would hinder a smooth transition. It works great!

First up is my own recipe for an almond meal crust. I also use it for cherry cheesecake (which I am no longer able to eat, but for those of you who can eat dairy, this is a delicious crust)
ALMOND PIE CRUST
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Egg, No Soy, No Kidding
1 cup almond meal
(I grind raw almonds in a coffee grinder. If you want a thicker crust, use more almond meal.)
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
(Precise measurements are not necessary; I really just pour some in. Adjust it to taste.)
About 1/8 cup of almond milk
(I don’t measure this; I use enough to hold the almond paste together. The dough is actually sticky enough that when I press it into the pie plate, it is gooey. I sprinkle more dry almond meal on the dough so the dough doesn’t stick to my hands.)

Mix the ingredients thoroughly, making sure you use enough almond milk to get that gooey texture. Dump dough into pie plate (I have never greased mine, but I have always baked them in a stone from Pampered Chef, I don’t know that it would be necessary in a regular glass pie plate because of the natural oil of the almonds. If you make it without grease, and it sticks, grease it next time) and with the heel of your hand, press it out until it covers the bottom and comes up the side. I don’t press it all the way to the top because when the dough is higher than the filling it burns more quickly. You can use the tines of a fork to press a pattern in the upper edge of the dough if you wish. Set aside.
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Egg (next time), No Soy, No Kidding
It just occurred to me that I can't eat this next recipe either, but I hope you can!
MOLASSES PUMPKIN PIE
No Gluten, No Soy, No Kidding
Pumpkin Filling
1 ½ cups fresh or canned pumpkin puree (Always check the ingredients on anything processed. You never know where that nasty gluten might turn up.)
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup almond milk
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup unsulphered molasses
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ginger (I have not used ginger yet. I am out, so I have used about a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice instead. Be brave, experiment!)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract (I don’t know if they ever use caramel coloring, which has gluten in it, in artificial vanilla extract, but always check your labels.)
Garnish
Pecans
Chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat the oven to 450 °.
Combine filling ingredients in the order listed, beating with a wire whisk.
Pour filling into an Almond Pie Crust (recipe above) and bake for 15 minutes.
Reduce oven heat to 350° and bake for 45 minutes, or until custard is set. Pie filling is very dark. You might want to cover the crust with foil when you turn down the temperature, but with it so low in the pan, it does get dark but not terribly so.

Serve with whipped topping or vanilla ice cream or Rice Dream, etc., as your diet and taste allows.

No comments: