Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Beef and Yams

One of the keys to living with multiple food restrictions is variety. I am constantly thinking about what I can do to keep not only my taste buds happy, but those of my less restricted mother and my I'll-eat-pretty-much-anything-you-put-in-front-of-me husband (he draws the line at blue food - except for real stuff, like blueberries - and he holds to his food motto, "never eat anything bigger than your head"). Yesterday I was thinking about some boneless beef ribs and those yams I had picked up the other day and wondering if they would like to join forces in a single pot. I did a search online and found several recipes for beef and sweet potato stew (I always use yams in sweet potato recipes, I think I just like their rich color) and I took one of those and made it my own.

Beef and Yams
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No Kidding
1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef ribs, or stew meat, or whatever cut you want to use (this would even work with a roast)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
2 garlic cloves, minced fine
A dash of allspice
A couple of dashes of cinnamon
1 large onion, chopped
1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes, undrained
Fresh, bruised and battered cinnamon oregano from your backyard (okay, you can use regular oregano if you must)

Heat oil in big skillet over medium heat. Add beef and season with salt and pepper. Brown in the hot oil.

Add the onions, garlic, yams, and tomatoes. Season with cinnamon and allspice. Cover and cook on LOW for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until beef is tender. After about an hour, check occasionally to be sure it has enough liquid. If not, you can add a little water to see it through.

This was a huge hit. Those flavors blend together very well. This could cook in a slow cooker for 4 hours and the beef would be fallen off the bone tender (sans the bone part if you use boneless :) but that stuff I used last night was quite tender. It probably depends on what cut of beef you use.

No comments: