Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks, but I am sure they are gluten free.)

Monday, June 21, 2010

Rhubarb/Strawberry Upside Down Cake















Rhubarb/
Strawberry Upside Down Cake
No Gluten No Dairy No Eggs* No Soy* No Kidding
Fruity Part:
- 4 cups of sliced rhubarb
(At least: I used a lot of rhubarb. It was at least an inch deep in the baking dish)
- 1 pound of strawberries, sliced
(Use more if you want a stronger strawberry taste. This amount was good with the quantity of rhubarb.)
- 1/3-1/2 cup sugar
(All the recipes online were using less rhubarb and a cup of sugar. I started with a cup and just couldn't bring myself to use it all. It was way sweet with what I did use, which was probably about 1/2 cup.)

Cake Part:
1 Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
(*The box says there is a possibility of soy, but my mother is very sensitive and she wasn't worried about it and had no reaction.)
Vegetable oil (I used safflower oil)
2 teaspoons gluten free vanilla (I used Kirkland brand)
3 eggs
(*I did use eggs in this recipe, because I think I can tolerate eggs in a baked item, but next time I am going to try the milled flax seed/water blend instead)

Preheat oven to 350°F

Most recipes like this say to grease the bottom of your baking dish, but I didn't and I am having no problems getting the cake to come out. Perhaps it is because of the large quantity of fruit in the bottom of this dish.

The fruit layer:
Evenly spread the rhubarb in the bottom of a 9"x13"x2" baking dish (I used glass) and then layer the strawberry slices evenly across the rhubarb. Finally, pour the sugar even across the fruit. Set aside.

The cake layer:
Prepare the cake according to package directions, only use the vegetable oil instead of the butter. It makes a pretty thick batter and because I wanted it a little more runny, I blended in a little bit of almond milk.

Once the batter is ready, spread it over the top of the fruit and bake for about 40 minutes. What I did was start at 30 minutes and keep checking it until the top started browning. I think it could have even cooked a bit longer, but it was definitely done by that time. My mother had suggested that the longer it cooks, the more caramelized the sugar will be. Mine didn't at all, and that may also be a reason it is coming out of the pan so cleanly. Plus, it is delicious the way it is!

No comments: