Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dinner Bell

Folks, I've been saving some recipes up for you and I can't wait any longer to get them posted! I don't have time for this tonight, but here I am. I have a whole lot of sleuths to share as well, but I probably won't get to those until at least later this week. It is Vacation Bible School at our church and I get to play with preschoolers for four days! I am pretty excited. They keep me young. Okay, here you go. I am still working on the mayo recipe. The first batch isn't quite what I am looking for and I am still using it up. When I get this thing right, I will post the whole story. :)

To the food...

Honey Maple Chicken Breasts
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No Kidding
Chicken breasts, raw
(or turkey legs if you prefer)
Yams, cubed
(that's cut into cubes, not taken to the third power)
Pecans
Olive oil
Honey
Pure maple syrup
Garlic powder, Salt

Place the chicken breasts into the the bottom of a casserole dish large enough to fit how ever many you are making. Scatter your yams and then pecans over the top. Use enough to feed your crowd. Drizzle olive oil, then honey, then maple syrup over all. The amount on these...I used maybe 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup honey and perhaps that much maple syrup. This is an Aunt Lorena method sort of dish (click label for more information). Season with garlic powder and salt to taste. Bake uncovered at 350°F for 1 hour. Serve with a fresh green salad. Yummy!


This next dish is super easy, light, and tastes wonderful. It has a lot of wiggle room. You could add all kinds of other ingredients, but we liked the simplicity of it. Hmmm...I don't know what to call it...how about

Cabbage Mushroom Chicken Bowl
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No Kidding
2 Chicken breasts, raw, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped (don't be stingy with the cabbage)
8-10 mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, sliced, or chopped, or whatever you like
Grapeseed oil
Red cooking wine
Pacific Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
Garlic Powder, Cumin, Salt & pepper

Heat about 1/8 cup grapeseed oil in a skillet on medium heat (I used a 12 inch skillet and the lid was floating on the cabbage because there was too much food for it to be able to close, so you might want a bigger one). Add chicken and stir fry it for just a few minutes. Add mushrooms, onions and cabbage. Once you get all that stuffed into the pan, drizzle with red cooking wine and pour in about a cup of the chicken broth (I was thinking that it would be nice to add more of the broth because this would make a lovely soup as well). Season with the garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the cabbage is weepy (like a celiac eating Udi's bread). Put it in a pretty bowl and eat it with crackers. I had mine with Mary's Gone Crackers. Delicious!

Possible other ingredients: sesame oil instead of grapeseed (or in addition to), sesame seeds, peanuts, any typical Asian food ingredients (bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, baby corn, & etc.), cauliflower, carrots, celery...
















Remember I said I wanted to try that Watermelon Sorbet recipe? Well, I did. It doesn't look like Rachel Ray's, but that is because I skipped this step, "Transfer the pieces to a food processor in batches and pulse until smooth," and went straight to the eating part. Verdict: It was very refreshing, but I am not sure I would use the lime zest again. It was odd to me. However, my husband loved it as is.









No comments: