Friday, July 9, 2010

Skillet Fajitas

One of the dishes I made at church camp this spring was A Year of Slow Cooking's Super Easy Fajitas. I made the gluten-free seasoning mix from scratch from a recipe I found somewhere online, but I can't seem to find it so I will include it below. I took my crock pot along to camp and plugged it in before going to bed (we played Mafia that night, so it was quite late) and it was way ready come lunch time the next day. Though I loved the flavors, the vegetables were just in there too long and the peppers ended up slimy. I decided to try again at home this week and this time I just cooked the meat in the crock pot and then put the dish together as follows.

Skillet Fajitas
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No Kidding
1 - 1 1/2 lbs Fajita meat
1/2 cup Pacific Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
2 tablespoons of Not My Fajita Seasoning Recipe (Or use more. You can always add more when you get to the skill.et)

Precook your seasoned Fajita meat and chicken broth in the crock pot on high for four hours.

Skilletizing the dish
1-2 green bell peppers
1 sweet red pepper
1 large onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 can gluten free black beans, undrained (pinto or red would work also)
1 cup rice of choice (I used that yummy Basmati)
3 cups Pacific Organic Free Range Chicken Broth

Chop all vegetables and sauté in a large skillet for just a few minutes to start to soften them. Remove the meat from the crockpot and chop it up into about 1 to 2" pieces. Add chopped meat, beans, rice and chicken broth to skillet and add more seasonings if you want. Bring liquid to a boil, cover, turn heat down to low and cook for 1/2 hour.

Serve with your favorite salsa (mine is Chachies medium), your favorite tortilla chips (I used Blue Chips from Garden of Eatin'), and avocado and tomato slices (and sour cream if you can eat that stuff, but it isn't needed and I am not calling it a part of this recipe).

Even the leftovers are delish!

.....................................................
Not My Fajita Seasoning Recipe
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No Kidding*
1 1/2 teaspoon Cumin ground
1/2 teaspoon Oregano dried, crushed
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Red pepper ground or pinch of cayenne to taste
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper ground
1/8 teaspoon Garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon Onion powder

Use as needed in recipes calling for fajita seasoning.

*Make sure all of your seasonings are gluten free

No comments: