Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sleuth: The Blog Post

Recipe!!!
First, and I am drooling over this one, a friend recently mentioned he had made a watermelon sorbet and I asked him for the recipe fully expecting it to have something in it that would cause pain. But it doesn't! And it comes from Rachel Ray! I haven't looked at her website for a long time, but I think I better plan to spend some time there. My first plan, however, is to make this No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No Kidding Watermelon Sorbet for Saturday when we are having some friends over for the day! Croquet and Sorbet...has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? To which I say, in honor of Ms. Ray, how awesome is that?

Products and pain
I have decided that I am not going to eat any products that have a processed on the same equipment as wheat or gluten warning on the label. I have had pain with several products that do, Lays, for example. I just read that they are using great care to avoid cross contamination and I believe a lot of people do just fine with them. I don't. There is also a puffy veggie/rice snack chip at Costco that I am confident I was being glutened by (I am going to have to write down the product name next time I am in there. When I do, I will post an update). They say gluten free on them, but they also have the processed on the same equipment as warning on their label. I recently called Terra Chips and though they have many products without gluten ingredients, they are also processed on the same equipment as gluten-containing products. At this point, the only snack chips I am eating are assorted flavors of Food Should Taste Good, an organic, gluten free, GMO free tortilla chip from Freddy's and Garden of Eatin' Blue Chips.

Products with possibilities
I discovered tonight that Newman's Own has tightened up their labeling policy since I last looked. On their website it used to say something like, to the best of the knowledge certain products didn't have gluten, based on some gluten free guidelines. I remember thinking it was not a very comforting statement. But when I was planning the menu for Saturday evening, I wanted to make a salad similar to the one from Olive Garden. My sister figured out how to make it at home years ago, but that was before gluten death entered my life. I knew I would need a good Italian dressing, so I decided to check out Newman's Own again and I am so happy with what I found. Look at their statement:

. If one or more of the major common allergens recognized by FDA are contained in a Newman's Own product they will be listed in the ingredient statement regardless of the level and whether or not directly added to the product or contained in another ingredient.

. The composition of each ingredient will be reviewed for the presence of the major common food allergens recognized by FDA.

Pretty nice...and even nicer is the number of dressings that are No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No Kidding! The possibilities in my kitchen just expanded in a major way!!!

In the works...
I have a couple of items I am working on. One is a homemade dressing that is No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No Kidding to serve as an alternative to mayo and hopefully Ranch Dressing when I throw in some additional ingredients. I want to try it for a chicken salad for Saturday, so I should have the results before long.

The second is a possible homemade alternative to whipped cream that is also No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No Kidding. If this one works out, trust me, you will be hearing from me. :)

No comments: