Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks, but I am sure they are gluten free.)

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Barbecue Bowl with pasta salad

Shockingly large, isn't it? I can't help it, the flavor is that big!
I am really liking this bowl thing. I am also really liking having to come up with new dishes on a regular basis. It is fun to try to pair up ingredients in my mind before I start making dinner. Tonight's dish came together quite nicely and the recipe practically wrote itself. 

Barbecue Bowl
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No kidding
1/8 cup grapeseed oil
1/8 cup red cooking wine
4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
2 medium sized zucchini, sliced in disks
1 large yellow onion, chopped in very small pieces
1 cup Cinnamon Barbecue Sauce (recipe to follow)
1 cup Pacific chicken broth
Salt and garlic powder

Pour the oil and cooking wine into a large skillet over a medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning pieces to sear all sides. Add the vegetables and then combine the barbecue sauce and chicken broth and pour over all. Season, cover and allow to simmer for 25 minutes.    

Those tiny onion bits did just what I had hoped they would do in this dish. They are sweet and tender and really make it the wonder that it is. Don't forget the onions!

Cinnamon Barbecue Sauce
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No kidding
1 cup gf ketchup (See link to see what the gf policy is at Heinz, which is the brand I am currently using. I haven't noticed gluten issues with it, but I really want to make my own ketchup so I can get away from high fructose corn syrup.)
1/3 cup Brer Rabbit black strap molasses
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/8 cup French's Classic Yellow Mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Salt to taste

Combine all ingredients together and mix well. The cinnamon is the hero here; it is a very nice spice for barbecue sauce; add more if you like. I use this sauce on chicken wings too.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Pliable Pasta Salad
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No kidding
1 package Tinkyada Spaghetti Style Brown Rice Pasta (or your favorite gluten free pasta)
Litehouse Red Wine Olive Oil Vinaigrette Dressing (or your favorite oil and vinegar dressing)
Your choice of add ins* - for this evening's salad I used
Whole black olives and yellow pear tomatoes w/chopped green peppers

This is easy to put together. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain and rinse. Put into a large enough bowl to allow for tossing. Add vegetables and then pour dressing over all. Use enough dressing to make it moist, according to your preference. Toss and serve if everything else is ready. If you put this together earlier in the day, it will give the flavors time to mingle. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

A bit of humor with this dish. I was in a hurry to get this into my husband's tummy, because he had a meeting tonight. SOOOO, I pulled the pasta off of the burner about a minute early resulting in a just barely under-done noodle. It had the coolest texture! It was kind of bouncy, or something. It sort of gently pushed back on my teeth when I chewed; however, the liquid was so hot in the bowl that as I got further into the meal, the pasta had finished cooking!  Bowls are a great adventure!
.....................................................
*Other possibilities - celery, green onions, red onions, scallions, canned artichoke hearts (marinated or not), cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms (marinated or fresh), canned baby corncobs, heart of palm, any seeds or nuts that you would like,

No comments: