Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Home Style Olive Garden Salad

So this past week my husband and I celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary and though we usually go out, this time I wanted to cook something at home. I decided to make Chicken Marsala again, and I also made a homemade version of Olive Garden's yummy salad that is safe for me.

For the Chicken Marsala this time, I bought the big container of mushrooms from Costco and used half of them. They were delicious! I made enough of everything so we could have "go boxes" of leftovers for the next day, which is how it would have been had we eaten out.

Home Style Olive Garden Salad
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No Kidding
2 heads of Romaine lettuce, torn in pieces
1 can of whole olives, drained
1 medium red onion, sliced
Whole pepperoncinnis (as many as you want. We love them and use lots!)
Italian seasoning

Put the first four ingredients into your salad bowl. Pour the Vinaigrette over the salad, sprinkle on some Italian seasoning and toss to combine. If you are able to have dairy, you can garnish with Parmesan to taste, but it is not needed. You could also toss in your favorite gluten free croutons, but again, not needed.

We had our meal with some Manischewitz Concord Grape wine. My doctor actually really does recommend I have this from time to time with dinner...a couple of ounces watered down. It is plenty for me and with a meal I don't even get a buzz, which suits me fine.

This was really a wonderful meal and I didn't come away wondering if I would start hurting in a bit.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy Anniversary to you!! Your meal sounded lovely! Your salad looked authentic! Thanks for sharing!

Becky, slave of Christ said...

Thanks, Jennifer. It was quite lovely. I don't know if that dressing is corn free, but if it isn't you should try the salad with your own Italian dressing recipe.