Sunday, August 22, 2010

South of the Border Bowl

I started with the Crockpot Tortilla Soup Recipe over at A Year of Slow Cooking, but by the time it got to the table, it was an entirely different dish!

Once again, I had to rescue some of the food for a
photo shoot before it was gone. You will just have
to imagine how nice the corn bread looked
nestled just to the left of the bowl.
South of the Border Bowl
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, 
No Kidding*
3 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped to bite-sized pieces
1 - 32-ounce carton of Pacific chicken broth
3 cans of black beans, with liquid
1 onion, chopped
1 - 6-ounce can ripe olives, chopped (do not drain)
2 - 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
1 - 4 ounce can green chili peppers (I used mild, you decide how hot they should be)
1 cup corn
2 cups chopped zucchini (optional, but this is a great way to get that vegetable into finicky tummies; they will never know it is there)
3 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
½ tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
Salt to taste

Garnishes
Tortilla chips, Mexican blend cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions

Combine all of the ingredients (except for the garnishes) into a large stew pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cover. Cook for 1 ½ hours

To serve, put a handful of tortilla chips in the bottom of the serving bowl and cover with stew. Garnish as you wish. I didn’t put anything on mine. I just put the chips in the bottom of the bowl. This is delicious! My family and our company loved it. I served it with cornbread made with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Cornbread. I used egg whites instead of whole eggs, as I seem to be able to get away with those now. Egg replacer would work fine.
.....................................................
* Always be sure your ingredients are gluten free!

2 comments:

Lady Kate said...

Wow! I'm always excited to find people going gluten-free! Our best friends are gluten free (because of health reasons), and I will gladly be passing your blog link onto them. =)

Becky, slave of Christ said...

Thanks, Kate. It is far too common I am afraid. Have a blessed day!