Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks, but I am sure they are gluten free.)

Monday, September 20, 2010

Back on the breakfast table: Quinoa (keen' wa)!

For some time now I have just been enjoying my easy and delicious, default breakfast: Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Flakes with raisins, nuts, a few Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips and almond milk. I love chocolate and eliminating milk from my diet has definitely changed things. Breakfast is a nice place to indulge in it. My problem is the cost of the cereal. I am trying to become more economically gluten free, which isn't easy. I also have hypoglycemia and don't do well with the gf Chex cereals due to their sugar content, so they are not an option for me (refined white sugar is not my friend - though I do eat it sometimes, I can't have it every day).  My solution? Quinoa! Early on I used it a lot, but it is just so easy to pour cereal into a bowl...

Last week I decided it was time to go back to cooking breakfast and I am finding that it keeps my energy level even the whole morning. My plan is to have the Buckwheat Flakes on hand for those days when I just can't afford quinoa's fifteen minutes from cupboard to tummy. I usually use Ancient Harvest Quinoa, but I have seen a different brand in a big bag at Costco that I need to check on to be sure there are no cross-contamination issues. If there are none, I will buy it from there instead. I am confident it will be more economical. In the meantime, here is the nutritional lowdown on this delightful grain from Ancient Grains.

This is for a serving size of 1/4 cup dry quinoa, which makes a very nice breakfast bowl. Keep in mind that this information is for the quinoa only, not my recipe.
172 calories
2.8 grams of fat (no saturated or trans fats)
1 mg sodium
31 g carbs - 3 dietary fiber, 3 sugars 
6 g protein

I posted the recipe I have used in the past back here, but I have changed it a bit (notice that I am still having chocolate for breakfast).

Dry quinoa is round and tiny. When it is cooked, it gets a little ring around it (like Saturn :)
and that is how you can tell it is ready to eat. You can see this in the picture.
The clearest are to the left of the bottom, center pecan. 
Chocolate Peanut Butter Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No Kidding

1/4 cup dry quinoa
1 teaspoon Saco cocoa
Cinnamon, to taste
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon peanut butter
Handful of raisins
A few pecans
Smattering of pure maple syrup
Almond milk

In a small saucepan, add the quinoa, cinnamon and cocoa and mix together. Add the water, raisins and peanut butter and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, put the lid on the saucepan and set the timer for 10 minutes. Watch it for a bit, adjusting the heat to make sure it keeps boiling but doesn't boil over. When the timer goes off, look to see if the quinoa has little rings around it. If it does, it is ready to eat. Doesn't it smell wonderful? Add the maple syrup (I think I probably use less than a teaspoon), pecans and desired amount of almond milk and enjoy this wholesome and yummy way to start your day!

2 comments:

Quinoa Corporation said...

We sell bulk Quinoa online too! Check it out! www.quinoa.net

-Ancient Harvest Quinoa Corp

Becky, slave of Christ said...

Your response to this was fast, AHQC! You must have someone searching the internet for references to your products. I looked at what you have to offer and your prices and will certainly take them into consideration. I didn't see what your shipping costs were though. Either I overlooked them or they aren't available until checkout. That is a factor as well.

Thanks for letting me know about your online store!