Monday, September 13, 2010

The Dairy Free Dilemma: Corn on the Cob

Corn on the cob, slathered in butter and sprinkled with salt

Just typing those words spurs my saliva glands to action! What is a dairy-freer to do? Well, a few weeks ago I decided I needed a solution to this problem. My friend, Sarah, gave me some fresh ears from the field and I didn't want to eat them dry! As I was mulling over the possibilities, I remembered how much I used to enjoy hot bread dipped in garlic-flavored olive oil at a couple of the local Italian restaurants and I decided to try a variation on that theme. This is a simple and effective solution to the problem! The recipe* I am sharing is for grilled corn on the cob, but I have since used a seasoned oil on corn that I cooked on the stove top. I brushed it on the corn before eating.

Grilled Corn on the Cob,
Sans Butter
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs,
No Kidding

Corn on the cob, in husks (as many as you need for your family/crowd)
Olive oil
Garlic powder**
Salt



To prepare corncobs, peel back the husks and remove corn silk.

Pour olive oil into a small bowl. When determining quantities on this, think about how much butter you would use per ear and judge from that. It doesn't take much olive oil at all. The amount in the little Pyrex bowl was way more than I needed for mine. I only did one ear with this olive oil blend for me; everyone else had butter.


Spread the olive oil mixture evenly over the corn. I just used my spoon for this.

Smooth husks back into their original position (the husks were wrinkly and wobbly at this point) and tie in place with string. We grilled ours for about 6 minutes, turning frequently, but I was looking at recipes on the web and saw recommendations from 15 minutes to until the husks are black. I also saw that it is often recommended that you pre-soak the corn in its husks in cold water for 15 minutes to saturate them, allowing for steaming and improved moisture content of the cooked corn. The corn will be hot, so be careful as you remove it from the grill.*** We served them with the husks still in place and each person unwrapped their own. It was quite lovely on the plate...though the ashes were a bit messy.

.....................................................
*This is sooooo simple that it doesn't really seem like a recipe, but what else can I call it?
**I want to try some other seasonings with this also. I haven't decided which ones yet, but I will be experimenting, corn on the cob availability permitting.
***No fingers were burned in the husk-removal of this corn.

No comments: