Saturday, September 4, 2010

South of the Border, in Layers

I was going to come up with something non-Mexican style last night, but when I smelled the burger as it cooked, I decided to go with this homemade fast food instead. It was a hit. I forgot to garnish with whole olives before I took the picture, but I didn't forget to eat them! This recipe may seem too simple, but it is a surprisingly nice blend of flavors. Those who are not allergic can top with sour cream and/or cheese also. My husband used sour cream, but no cheese.

South of the Border, in Layers
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs,
No Soy, No Kidding

Olive oil
Red cooking wine
1 lb burger
Garlic powder, salt
1 16 oz. can Rosarita refried beans (I used fat free)
2 tablespoons canned, sliced, chili peppers (make sure they are gluten free)
1 cup Garden of Eatin' Blue Chips, broken into pieces (this is a great way to use up those last bits in the bottom of the bag)
1 can whole baby corn, drained and cut into thirds
Guacamole (your favorite, my other recipe, or the variation I made last night can be found below)

Preheat oven to 350°F

In a skillet, precook hamburger. When it is nearly done, season with garlic powder and salt, to taste and stir in about a couple of tablespoons of the red wine. Allow to finish cooking and set aside until needed.

Assembling the Layer in the casserole dish
Coat the bottom of a casserole dish with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Evenly spread in layers in this order: refried beans, green chilies, tortilla chips, burger and baby corn. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Serve with guacamole and whole black olives

Guacamole: Last Night's Version
1 whole avocado, ripened, peeled and pitted
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup Chachies Medium Salsa
Garlic powder, ground cumin, chili powder, to taste

Mash the avocado and mix in the rest of the ingredients. Start light on the seasonings and add until your taste buds do a little dance.

No comments: