Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks, but I am sure they are gluten free.)

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Sleuthbook

My reputation
This was a recent status of a friend of mine on facebook.* She was referring directly to me. I not only eat No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Soy, No Kidding, I also edit. :) 


"Hey gluten free friends, Albertson's had a hand-out at the register yesterday. It is all the gluten free products/brands they sell. I told the cashier I would give it to a friend of mine and she would probably bring it back with red pen marks."

His reputation
It isn't that I was shocked that the guy was selling gluten free bread that wasn't actually gluten free. I understand the market is expanding and I understand greed. What surprised me was how seriously the law took it and 1.5 million dollar bail the judge set. 

Their recipes
Dressing!
If you are a regular visitor of this blog, you probably know I have been in search of a gluten/dairy/egg/soy-free creamy dressing. Well. I haven't come up with some yet, but someone has! I haven't tried it yet (I need to get to the store to purchase the ingredients), but I am very excited about this recipe! Vegan Cultured Coconut Milk Dressing from Neven Jones over at diary of an exfoodie

Fudge!
Just before Thanksgiving, I posted a link to a No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs (like fudge would ever have eggs...yuck), No Soy, No Kidding fudge recipe made from So Delicious Coconut Milk (obviously becoming an important part of the                     free diet) and I learned yesterday that their is another fudge recipe out there that will work for us! This one comes with several variations. It can be found at Go Dairy Free and the base recipe is called Five-Minute Fudge. Looks amazing!

Inoffensive Cookie Recipe
This article is very entertaining. There is a recipe for allergen friendly oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, but it is written by someone who is allergy free. Her humor is understandable, delightful, and it is nice to have a good laugh over how ridiculous our food predicament is. Serious, but ridiculous.

My recipe
Chicken Noodle Soup for Me and Youp
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed
2 cups chopped carrots
1 cups frozen peas
1 large onion, chopped
4 celery stalks, sliced
1 clove of garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste

This makes a nice big batch; which was purposeful (you will see why). You can use other seasonings and vegetables if you want. Mine turned out quite thick last night and to the leftovers and for dinner this evening I plan to add some water to thin it out and make it more soupy, another package of noodles because the quantity of this needs more of them, some chopped cauliflower and some thawed zucchini that I put up from my garden. 

I want to also make a salad (so I will need to get to the store to get the cultured coconut milk) and I am thinking I will try this recipe for Almond Quick Bread from Simply Vintage Girl. I will have to convert it to gluten free, which won't be difficult, and use some sort of egg replace for the eggs in it, but I am think it should convert well.  I am making this for company. My uncle has just moved to town and is living in a hotel for another week. There has been a lot of restaurant eating and soup has been requested. You can see why I want to pack in the nutrition.

Her response
I mentioned in my post, Back on the breakfast table: Quinoa (keen' wa), that I was going to look into the larger package sold at Costco. I did. It is called truRoots Organic Quinoa and it is quite economical, ten dollars for four pounds, and I don't have to worry about shipping costs. I have recently been getting gluten somewhere and I wanted to check with the company to see if there are any chances of cross contamination. I did. There isn't. Here is the response that I received from the president of Enray Incorporated, the company that packages it here in the United States:

Our quinoa supply chain is entirely gluten free from farms to packing, so there is no cross contamination. Our facility is also allergen free. I am very sure that there is no cross contamination in our products. We check every batch internally with a gluten test kit to verify gluten levels.

I am so relieved! I love quinoa for breakfast and I have been purchasing packages ahead so if Costco isn't carrying it for part of the year, I won't run out. This company impressed me—from the initial phone call where I spoke to the customer service department to the email I received from the president, they were concerned, kind and went out of their way to help me, which I appreciate very much. Thanks Esha and Maggie!

...............................................................
*I played with the graphic idea for awhile. It is, indeed, meant to cause the reader to think of facebook (though my sister says that it doesn't in purple, but the blue is too close). I started out with a color very close to facebook blue, but thought they would not appreciate me coming that close to their logo. The font is not theirs and the color is not theirs, so hopefully this won't bother them.

2 comments:

Neven said...

Becky, Thank you so much mentioning my recipe.

Becky, slave of Christ said...

You are welcome! Thanks so much for coming up with it. :)