Here there be cookies.

Here there be cookies. (Blogger uses cookies, folks, but I am sure they are gluten free.)

Monday, February 21, 2011

Mexican Lasagna

My friend, Kim (I am labeling her recipes Kim's Cooking Conquests, in case she wants to share anything else), is a wife and mother of five who has some tough challenges in her kitchen. She has a son who is diabetic and wheat intolerant (so she uses a lot of  gluten/wheat-free foods), and a husband who can't have dairy. In a house of seven people, this means she is always looking for recipes that will satisfy everyone's taste buds and dietary needs. She does an amazing job of keeping their tummies happy.

She has been working on perfecting this recipe for a long time and announced today that she had finally done so the other night. Her family loved it. She said it is too good not to share, so I asked, and she gave me permission to do so here. She uses soy when she cooks, and when she does I will include suggestions on alternatives.

In case you are wonder, no, I have not tried it; I just got the recipe this morning, but if a father, a mother, four teenage boys, and one adorable four year old girl can be trusted...they consumed every last bite of it! Also, Kim cooks with the Aunt Lorena Method (she probably doesn't call it that, but if you need an explanation - I have included it in the labels at the bottom of this post). I have adapted the recipe to the blog format and added my own comments, so I will put Kim's original comments in purple. The recipe text is a blend of her words and mine.

Kim's Mexican Lasagna
No Gluten, No Dairy, No Eggs, No Kidding
20 corn tortillas
2lbs. ground beef
Diced onions
Taco seasoning (however you much you use to make tacos)
12 oz dairy free sour cream (soy or cashew*)
1 can creamed corn
1-1 1/2 cups salsa (make sure it is gluten free; I use Chachies)
2 cans refried beans (I have always done well with Rosarita)
Cheese, almond or soy (stop when it looks good to you), (I am tolerating small amounts of dairy these days, so I will try the almond cheese again, but if it doesn't work for me, I am just going to leave this out on the part I will eat.)

Garnish
Lettuce, shredded
Tomato, diced
Cilantro, chopped
Olives, sliced

Before you build...
Brown meat and diced onion in pan, drain, add taco seasoning and stir—set aside.  Mix salsa, creamed corn and sour cream in a bowl.

In the bottom of a 9x13 pan...
First Floor
Thin layer of beans
Thin layer of sour cream mixture
TWO layers of tortillas to cover pan
Spread beans on the tortillas (I found it easiest to hold the tortillas and cover in beans)
Sour cream mixture
1/2 of the meat

Second Floor
THREE layers tortillas
Beans
Sour cream mixture
Last 1/2 of the meat,

Third Floor
TWO layers tortillas
Sour cream mixture
Cheese

Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes.  In the meantime chop the olives, cilantro, tomatoes, and lettuce.  Top each piece with whatever you like.  I have attempted Mexican Lasagna many times, but have never found the right mixture, this is it!  So good!  Easy to add or subtract what you like or dislike, too!

 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
*The Spunky Coconut has developed sour cream and cream cheese recipes from coconut!
*Nuts Online has certified gluten free nuts available!

No comments: