Saturday, April 30, 2011

Sleuth rambles on about products

Coffee
I know it has been a while. I just haven’t been particularly adventurous lately I guess. I haven’t been coming up with new recipes or even doing much by way of research on the web. However in spite of this, information still comes along if one just keeps her eyes and ears open and this is why I am here now. Nancy at Gluten Freeville made a gluten-factor inquiry to Wilton. I am so glad she did this; she gleaned great information!
From Wilton Customer Service:
"Thank you for your interest in our products. Our candy melts are gluten free and also free in the facility." I take that to mean the facility is gluten free. Does anyone else appreciate the level of normalcy this affords?
My mom can’t have soy, and she recently ran across some ranch salad dressing at Wal-Mart she thought looked like it would be okay for her. It is from Walden Farms, and I wrote to them to see if they were soy free along with all of the other things they are free of (gluten, dairy, fat, calorie, sugar free – scary free if you ask me), and they kindly gave a prompt response…
All of our products are safe for your mom to use with the exception of the following products:
Creamy Bacon Dressing
Bacon Ranch Dip
Creamy Bacon Single Serve Packets
Bacon Ranch Dressing
They are obviously trying very hard serve people with dietary restrictions by offering products that are safe, and I applaud their efforts. They put Splenda in everything, and I personally don’t use artificial sweeteners, but I wanted to let you know they are out there. Mom said the ranch dressing is quite tasty.
I finally have my coffee figured out. I don’t know if I have even mentioned it here, but I am now an official caffeine addict. I had been using So Delicious Creamers with Pacific’s Chocolate Almond Milk (which I can’t see on their website, but I can find on the grocery shelf, hmmm…), but I found the combination to be too sweet. Instead, I have started using Silk’s new PureAlmond Dark Chocolate Almond Milk (find it under the products tab. I can’t get a direct link for some reason). I use about half coffee and half milk, and it takes the bitterness of the coffee away, leaving me satisfied like Starbucks used to do, back when I could patronize that place.
“Mr. S, don’t those doughnuts…look delicious?”
Well okay, the first time I heard this line it didn’t contain the word doughnuts, it contained the word pies. It was energetically exclaimed by a sweet little boy (the son of dear friends) several years ago. His adorable voice reminded me of young Opie Taylor. We had walked into a restaurant that specializes in all kinds of fresh-baked pies. They have a very clever marketing strategy, they have an Opie eye-level glass case full of them, and they are sure to catch the eye of whoever walks in the front door. I doubt even Ron Howard could resist them. At any rate, that phrase always causes my mouth to water, as does the photo at the top of this website. Those doughnuts look real, don’t they?
It sometimes takes time to track the information down, but at Tom’s of Maine I was able to find the answer to the question…

Do any of your products contain gluten?
Yes, we have a Natural Moisturizing Body Wash contains wheat protein which in turn contains gluten.
Well, apparently I had more to say that I thought.

Oh, and P.S. You are all aware of this little gem of information right? Snap! Crackle! Pop! Hurrah!

No comments: